Sensory Assist provides a range of bedtime toys specifically designed for special needs children to help them process their senses and achieve a state of calmness before going to sleep. As every child has different sensory needs, our collection offers various options to cater to their specific needs. It is important to note that what works for one child may not work for another. Our selection of toys includes:
Calming Stuffed Animals
Stuffed animals can create a calming environment for children, as their softness and cuddly nature can help relax their senses. At Sensory Assist, we offer a range of stuffed animals designed to provide comfort and aid in relaxation:
- Scented stuffed toys with calming fragrances to help ease them to sleep
- Toys that play soothing sounds to help calm the nerves and promote relaxation
- Stuffed animals that can be heated up to provide a warm touch as the child lies down, promoting a sense of security and comfort
- Stuffed animals with built-in lights to help children who may be afraid of the dark feel more secure and relaxed as they drift off to sleep
Visual Stimulation Lamps
Lava lamps and other types of visual stimulation lamps are a great way to provide calming and relaxing effects to your child. At Sensory Assist, we offer different types of lamps that provide a colorful light show to help children cope with anxiety and create a soothing environment. Our lamps use safe materials like LED fiber optics and have displays or soft lights that mimic space or the moon.
In addition, we also offer lamps that display images that catch your child's attention, such as jellyfish lamps that simulate the animals slowly floating in water. These lamps can help your child focus and reduce any intrusive thoughts that may distract them from resting. We even have lamps that play soothing sounds and come in different colors to provide a sensory experience that best suits your child's needs.
Sensory Pillows for Bedtime
At bedtime, sensory pillows can provide a massaging effect for children with special needs, helping them to calm down and feel more relaxed as they prepare to sleep. These pillows can also be used as cuddle pillows for added comfort. They are designed with rechargeable batteries and are easy to clean, making them a durable and convenient option for home or travel. Additionally, you can set the pillow to turn off automatically, so you don't have to worry about it vibrating through the night and disturbing your child's sleep. Another option to consider is a hugging pillow that provides pressure on the neck, giving a massaging and relaxing effect for your child. Placing it by their neck and head can help them focus and calm down during the night.
Sensory brushes are an effective tool to help children calm down during their bedtime routine. They provide gentle stimulation and pressure to the head, which can be especially helpful for children who have difficulty processing their senses or those with autism. Our sensory brushes come with removable handles and are also easy to bring along while traveling.
There are several ways to use sensory brushes, including massaging the scalp and cleaning the nails. We also offer sensory toothbrushes to make teeth cleaning a more comfortable experience for your child.
Qualities to Look for in Sensory Toys for Special Needs Children
Children with special needs require special attention, especially when it comes to the toys they play with. These children may be sensitive to stimuli such as light or sound, and it's important to consider these aspects when selecting toys that will help soothe them to sleep. Here are some qualities to look out for:
- Visual Stimulation: Toys that provide visual stimulation, such as flowing water, fish tanks, or moving images like a crackling fire, can hold a child's attention and help them relax as they fall asleep.
- Sound: Repetitive sounds and white noise can block out other distractions and calm children down, especially when the sounds are associated with comforting experiences.
- Movement: Vibrations and rhythmic movements have a calming effect on the nervous system, making toys that provide these qualities a great option for children with special needs.
- Pressure: Children can feel comforted by snuggling and cuddling with a tactile toy, providing them with a sense of security that leads to relaxation.
- Warmth: Warmth reminds children of the comfort of their mother's touch, and it also relaxes the body. Toys that provide warmth, such as heated stuffed animals or sensory pillows, can help children feel calm and at ease.
Remember that no one toy will work for every child, and it's important to observe your child's reactions and preferences to determine what works best for them. By selecting toys that provide one or more of these qualities, you can help your child have a peaceful and restful night's sleep.